General FAQs

General FAQs

Do I need to already own a firearm to take a class?
The only class that requires a firearm is the concealed carry class for MN and FL (both require students to demonstrate proficiency with a handgun). If you’re attending any other class (including the WI concealed carry class) you do not need to own a gun. In fact, both the WI Concealed Carry class and the Intro to Handguns class include some great info to help you decide which type of handgun is right for you. You’ll leave the classes with a solid understanding of handguns.

Do I need a basic understanding of guns to take a class?
Absolutely not (excluding, of course, the concealed carry class for MN and FL). Our classes are designed to help people who have never picked up a gun learn the basics.

How old do I have to be to take a class?
We don’t have a minimum age. CCW permit applicants need to be at least 21, but people of any age can take our classes.

Which states honor my WI CCW permit?
You’ll hear a lot about this topic (called reciprocity). A total of 34 states honor your Wisconsin permit (or have no permit requirement) meaning you can carry in any of them with nothing more than your Wisconsin permit. These states include AL, CO, FL, GA, IN, LA, MI, NE, NV, NC, OH, PA, VA, and of course WI. Many states require no permit at all. These include AK, AR, AZ, IA, ID, KS, KY, ME, MO, MS, MT, ND, NH, OK, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, WV, and WY.

Should I also get permits from other states?
It depends. If you’re planning on travelling to or through MN, you may want to obtain a permit in that state. If your travels take you through NM, you may want to obtain a FL permit. NM doesn’t issue permits to nonresidents, but they do honor FL permits issued to nonresidents. Both of those states require you to demonstrate safe firearm handling; our MN and FL classes include time at the range for that purpose. If traveling to WA is in your future, you’ll want to obtain a UT permit for reasons similar to the FL/NM situation.

In which states can I NOT carry?
Assuming you’ve obtained your permit for WI, MN, FL, and UT, there are only a handful of states left in which you won’t be allowed to carry. These states don’t recognize permits from other states and don’t issue permits to nonresidents. These include CT, DC, DE, HI, IL, MA, MD, NJ, NY, RI, and SC.

What’s the difference between National Rifle Association (NRA) classes and US Concealed Carry Association (USCCA) classes?
Both organizations provide similar education from the legal perspective; both are recognized as meeting the minimum training requirements for students to obtain CCW permits for the various states. In our opinion, however, USCCA classes are geared more towards people new to the world of handguns, concealed carry, and self defense. If you’re only looking for a class to qualify you for a permit, NRA is the way to go. If you’d like to learn more about how firearms work, which firearms and gear are right for you, home and self defense principles and tactics, and a more in-depth explanation of state law, USCCA is the best choice for you. We offer USCCA classes.

Will Suburban Carry classes teach me how to shoot?
Our classes cover the basics but don’t include in-depth one-on-one coaching. We do, however, offer one-on-one coaching separately and upon request.

Will I feel self conscious in Suburban Carry classes if I’m not already a ‘gun person’?
Heck no! We want to be the first step you take on the road to self defense and the world of shooting. Everybody, including Olympic shooters, picked up a handgun for the first time in their lives at some point. We aren’t militia members dressed in tactical gear who will laugh at you for what we think is a stupid question. There’s a reason we chose the name Suburban Carry instead of <insert name here> Tactical Defense. We want to help normal, everyday suburban folks learn how to defend themselves, their homes, and their families.